If you are one of the many people who hate to floss their teeth, R+R Dental offers five facts that will hopefully make you change your mind and get you in the habit of flossing.
Flossing may seem like an unnecessary chore, and most people think it’s important to floss just before going to bed when they are tired and not in the mood. In fact, flossing anytime during the day is effective as long as it is done every day. Even if you miss an occasional day, try hard to get into the habit of flossing sometime during the day.
Here are five reasons why flossing is important for your health:
- Flossing does almost half of the job of removing plaque from your teeth. Plaque is a sticky residue full of bacteria that can lead eventually to tooth decay if not removed regularly.
- Flossing helps the rest of your body stay healthy. Good oral health reduces the risk of heart disease, stroke, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, and other health problems.
- Flossing reduces the likelihood of developing gingivitis. This is the earliest stage of gum disease which can cause infections and loss of teeth. If your gums bleed when you brush or floss you are not doing enough of either.
- Flossing is one of the cheapest ways to keep your mouth, teeth, and gums healthy. Your hygienist and dentist can tell right away if you are maintaining good oral health. One of the easiest ways to do this is flossing.
- Flossing will keep your teeth whiter, reduce the likelihood of bad breath, and give you a great smile!
Your teeth have five surfaces and all of them need your attention. The front, back, and top of the teeth can be cleaned by brushing. The sides will not be adequately cared for by brushing alone. This is the purpose of flossing — to clean the surfaces between your teeth and the sides of rear teeth.
If you need some advice or instruction on the correct way to floss, ask us at R+R Dental the next time you come in for your checkup. We are conveniently located at 754 S. Broadway in Hicksville, NY. For more information or to make an appointment please call 516-874-7834. Maintain good oral health with a regular regimen of flossing and enjoy a healthy mouth!